You are running firefox and noticed that in a website there’s requirement of java runtime environment for proper viewing of site. Now firefox tries to install but in vain. Here are quick steps to install and configure java plugin for Firefox 3. These steps are tested in CentOS 5:
1. Download Java from here I have downloaded rpm in bin format.
2. Extract rpm from binary and then install it:
$ ./jre-6u5-linux-i586-rpm.bin $ rpm -ivh jre-6u5-linux-i586.rpm
3. Make softlink to libjavaplugin_oji.so in your Mozilla Plugins directory after making sure that /root/.mozilla/plugins directory exists, else create the plugins directory first. Now as an example, if java is installed in /usr/java, this command will do the trick:
$ ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_05/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /root/.mozilla/plugins
4. Restart firefox. Check if java is supported now. you can go here to test for its working.
You may also like to read:
* Top 5 most useful tools for Linux Admin
* 5 steps to secure your Linux Server
* Ensuring secure access to production Linux Servers
* Bash script to backup essential log files in Linux
* Quickly change your ssh port from defualt 22 to something higher
* SSH port forwarding from remote to local machine
* Save root or user history to check later
* Install and configure denyhost to prevent brute force attacks